Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring Planting

A little over a week ago, I had quite a scene in my kitchen.  Robyn was over with her husband and another friend and there was dirt and packets everywhere!

No my friends didn’t trash my kitchen – I can do that well enough my self.  The kitchen just happened to be the best place, and easiest to clean up – to plant seeds.  The kitchen, and its adjoining sunroom/extension, is also the seeds temporary living space until they grow further, the weather warms, the swing set comes down, and we are able to plant them outside.

Here’s a sampling of what we planted:

Veggies!
Flowers
·        Carrots
·        Pansies
·        Beans
·        Marigolds
·        Cucumbers
·        Bachelor buttons
·        Zucchini
·        Snapdragons
·        Beefsteak tomatoes
·        And more!
·        Tomatoes
Herbs
·        Yellow pear tomatoes
·        Rosemary
·        Green peppers
·        Basil
·        Pie pumpkins
·        Catnip
·        Butternut squash
·        Cilantro

·        Thyme

·        Oregano

·        Parsley


We went a little overboard I know.  We even had to run back out and get some additional supplies so that we had enough starter trays.  We had a homemade dinner and they went home for the evening.

I made sure to water them the next day, waiting anxiously for the first signs of growth.  Knowing that the beans would likely be the first to grow I had keen interest in the progress. A day or so later I noticed that the beans were indeed growing, but not in the way I expected.  Instead of green shoots, they were fuzzy.  I apparently over watered the poor beans, and will have to re-start them.

On the other hand, although it’s a mixed showing to an extent, I’m excited about the progress they have shown.  

I have sprouts in:

  • Cucumbers
  • Yellow pear tomatoes
  •  Pumpkins
  • Rosemary
  •  Squash
  • Catnip

  •  Zucchini


Exciting indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment